Dating is traditionally perceived as a youngsters’ domain. However, times have changed, and so has our outlook on relationships, dating, marriage, and divorce.
More and more people find themselves single at an older age, and that is nothing to be disheartened about. After all, there is never a wrong time to meet the right person and find true love.
So even if you are over 60 there is still a chance for you to find love! Follow
Know Your Strengths
Even though it often gets overlooked, mature adults have a number of advantages over younger people when it comes to dating. A few of them are:
- Maturity – You are no longer a college kid struggling to put his life together. You have been there, done that, and know-how to conduct yourself. You have greater self-control, and you’ve learned to control what you can and live with and what you can’t.
- Self-confidence – You have been around for a while and have faced the extremities of life. You know how to keep a cool head and have the calmness to face testing times with a sense of confidence.
- Life experience – You have gained valuable life experience that has made you a better, self-assured man than you were back in your teens. You have learned to focus on the big picture and not get bothered by short-term ups and downs of life.
- Financial stability – In theory, finding a good companion has nothing to do with how deep your pockets are. However, it does matter in the real world. You can dress to impress and treat your companion well. Taking her to classy restaurants lets her know she is special. And yes – those expensive gifts on birthdays and anniversaries always help!
Ignore the Negatives
Yes, there is a lot of competition.
You are essentially competing with men the age of your children (or even grandchildren) to court that lady you like. However, thinking about how badly you compare to them does not help. Just focus on your strengths and look forward. Age does not really matter – companionship, character, and thoughts do!
Dating Challenges Faced by Men Over 60
That said, you need to be realistic and accept that there are challenges for 60 plus men looking to get active on the dating scene. Get to the drawing board, outline the areas you need to improve upon and get going!
Here are a few generic challenges that many men over 60 would identify with.
Dating’s Gone Online!
If you have been out of the dating game for many years, you’ll find it challenging to see how much it has changed. The old-fashioned way of being introduced to a potential partner by a mutual connection is not as popular anymore.
Now, smartphones are a daily necessity, and you are likely using one anyway. Dating apps, which probably did not exist in your youth, have taken over. And there are many adult-focused dating websites with hundreds of profiles to get you started.
Just join the online world rather than running away from it! Tell other members about yourself and let them know the kind of woman you are looking for. It’s the first step in finding companionship again. Don’t worry if you are new to online dating; just follow these beginners’ tips, and you will be on the right path!
Social Media has Arrived
Unless you have been living in a cave, you would have heard of Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, Skype, etc. These are some very handy social networking tools that give you the power to connect with people instantly.
These tools have made emails obsolete, and it’s very likely that your potential date is on them already. In case you do not have an online profile set up yet, stop being a dinosaur and hop on. Ask your children and grandchildren for help!
A lot of stereotypes get tagged to older people:
Everyone thinks you are taking medication for every disease known to mankind; you are forgetful; dress shabbily, and are too week to perform.
While a part of it might be true, just work on your personality, get your daily exercise, and be presentable. Isn’t it cool to break the stereotype?
In addition, just accept that the 20-year old with an hourglass figure you fantasize about has a wide pool of men to choose from. If you haven’t learned this in life already, make a note that at your age, dating is not about having hot sex every night. It is more about having a good time through companionship, exchanging thoughts, talking about common interests, and letting things progress at their own pace. Meeting mature women is what you are looking for!
How to be the Perfect Man to Date Even After 60?
Now that you know your strengths, have worked on yourself to face the challenges, and have set realistic expectations about the kind of women you could date, we have compiled some useful dating tips which will help you ace the dating game.
- Be presentable – This advice has been around forever, irrespective of the man’s age. Guys have a reputation for turning up under-groomed. Stop using age as an excuse to dress shabbily. Put on a nicely fitting suit, wear some perfume, and let your woman know how much your time together means to you.
- Relax – Once on the date, be confident and comfortable with yourself. You have seen enough of this world to know that an evening cannot decide your life’s course. Breathe and keep the environment casual – she’s probably as excited/nervous about it as you are!
- Listen – A good listener at any age is a hit with women. Do not interrupt while she is sharing something about her. Take interest and continue the conversation.
- Talk in sentences – Answer her questions with full sentences. It will show your depth and interest in sharing things with her. One-word answers are a big turn off and show a lack of interest. Use your life experiences and jokes to fill in those possibly awkward periods of silence.
- Honesty is always the best policy – Nobody expects a 60 plus man to have a clean slate. After all, you’ve probably had at least a couple of relationships in your past. If the conversation is headed there, be open and honest about it. Women like straightforward men!
Dating after 60 can be a bit challenging, but if you keep an open mind and stay motivated to find love, then you will have success! Take the time to work on yourself, meet new people, and there will always be hope that you can find yourself a matching partner.